Curry is a popular spice in most Indian influenced cultures around the world, but in Jamaica, this spice is used in great ways to complement meats.
One of these is Chicken. Curry Chicken is a popular dish on the island and today we give you a step by step, mouthwatering recipe to make your own. Check it out below.
Preparation Time: 1 hr (depends on how well you want the Chicken marinated)
Cooking Time: 1 hr
For 8-10 people
1 whole Chicken (about 2.5lb – 3lb)
6 tbsp of Jamaican Curry Powder – Buy here
2 Irish Potatoes
1.5 tbsp of Vegetable Oil
2 cups Water
3 stalks Green Onion
5 sprigs Fresh Thyme
4 cloves garlic
2 Scotch Bonnet Peppers
2 tsp Salt
2 tsp Black Pepper
1. Wash the Chicken in Lemon or Lime Juice
2. Cut the Chicken up in to small pieces
3. Chop the Onion, Green Onions, Scotch Bonnet Peppers and Garlic into small pieces
4. Rub all the ingredients (apart from the Potatoes and Water) into the Chicken and allow to marrinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour
5. Chop the Potatoes into small pieces
6. Sear the Chicken in well-heated Vegetable Oil (5-10 minutes)
7. Add the Potatoes and Water to pan, cover and cook until the sauce has a thick consistency and Chicken is fully cooked (about 30 mins – 1 hr)
Serve with one of the following:
You will fall in love with this dish. It is mild yet spicy, rich yet not too heavy. Jamaican Curry Chicken will become one of your favorites for events or just a normal dinner at home.
Also Read: Recipe of the Day: Jamaican Oxtail
How was your Jamaican Curry Chicken? Let us know in the comments below.